+CityxChange (Positive City ExChange) is a smart city project, that has been granted funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme in the call for the topic ‘Smart cities and communities’.
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) will be the host and lead the +CityxChange consortium together with the Lighthouse Cities Trondheim kommune and Limerick City and County Council.
The +CityxChange vision is to enable the co-creation of the future we want to live in. This will include the development of a framework and supporting tools to enable a common energy market supported by a connected community. This will lead to recommendations for new policy intervention, market (de)regulation and business models that will deliver positive energy communities integrating e-Mobility as a Service (eMaaS).
To achieve the vision, the following framework will be adopted:
- Prototype the Future – Integrated Planning and Design
- Enable the Future – Creation of a Common Energy Market
- Accelerate the Future – CommunityxChange
This framework will incorporate different demonstration projects which will be carried out in the Lighthouse Cities and replicated in the Follower Cities.
+CityxChange will create solutions for Positive Energy Blocks leading to Positive Energy Districts and Cities through:
- decision support tools which, enable informed decisions to be made by all stakeholders in the community
- an approach to creating a Positive Energy Block through energy reduction and efficiency measures, local renewables, local storage, flexibility and peer-to-peer energy trading
- top-down community engagement driven by the local authority and bottom-up citizen engagement to inform, educate and drive behavioural change
The approach has been developed to enable citizens to invest in their own buildings, which will ultimately contribute to the creation of the Positive Energy Blocks and provide them with the incentives (social, economic, legal and technical) to do so.
The project is structured to specifically develop value-added solutions that support replication in other EU cities as well as exploitation to commercial markets well beyond the project duration.