This report describes how +CityxChange LHCs and FCs can engage citizens through a Positive Energy Champion Campaign to initiate a Positive Energy Champion Network – a team of individual Positive Energy Champions who embrace Positive Energy Concepts, take Positive Energy Actions and foster Positive Energy Communities by sharing their knowledge and experience with their fellow citizens. The Positive Energy Champion Network will comprise a network of local influencers who can help translate the ideas, plans and innovations associated with +CityxChange implementation and the clean energy transition into local knowledge and actions. Within this framework:
- Positive Energy Concepts are ideas, innovations or plans which contribute to the creation and replication of DPEBs and PEDs and the clean energy transition of a city.
- Positive Energy Actions are actions which make a Positive Energy Concept readily perceived or easily understood.
- Positive Energy Communities occur when citizens collaborate to initiate and sustain Positive Energy Actions.
The objectives of a Positive Energy Champion Network are to:
- Enable the creation and replication of Distributed Positive Energy Blocks (DPEBs) and Positive Energy Districts (PEDs) as part of a city’s clean energy transition.
- Raise awareness of Positive Energy Concepts amongst citizens and communities.
- Build capacity for Positive Energy Actions amongst citizens and communities to support the adoption of clean energy innovation.
The framework contains guidance on how to initiate a Positive Energy Champion Network including:
- Four Positive Energy Champion Campaign formats for use at different stages of DPEB implementation and replication.
- A proposed Positive Energy Champion Campaign structure.
- A step-by-step guide to implementing a Positive Energy Champion Campaign.
- Advice on sharing Positive Energy Champion success stories and learnings.
- Advice on connecting Positive Energy Champions within and across +CityxChange cities.
Resources to support the implementation of a Positive Energy Champion Campaign include:
- A Positive Energy Champion Training Module outline.
- A Positive Energy Champion Glossary of non-technical definitions of Positive Energy Concepts and Actions.
- A Positive Energy Champion Toolkit containing:
○ A how-to-guide for hosting an Energy Future Walkshop where Positive Energy Champions can engage their fellow citizens in discussions about +CityxChange and the clean energy transition of their city.
It is envisaged that this framework is implemented as part of +CityxChange Demonstration Project DP03 Engage, to complement and amplify the CommunityxChange suite of frameworks and to enable citizen participation in the creation and replication of DPEBs.